Flag of Waleswebsite bannerFlag of St David

Anglesey Churches

Ancient Churches

Ancient Monuments

Anglesey Today

Beaches

History

Maritime History

Nature

Old Photographs

Timeline

Times Past

Towns and Villages

War Memorials

Water Mills and Windmills

 

 

The Toll Houses of Anglesey, North Wales.

The Toll House Tariff at Llanfair P.G.

The Toll House Tariff at Llanfair P.G.


Thomas Telford designed and supervised the building of the Menai Suspension Bridge, and the road from Holyhead on Anglesey to London. The bridge took from 1818 - 1826 to build. As a means of recuperating some of the money there were five toll gates, each with a toll house, that were erected at approximately five mile intervals between the Menai Suspension Bridge and Holyhead.



The first toll point was of course at the bridge itself, this is no longer in evidence. The toll houses still remain today at Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, Gwalchmai, Caergeiliog (now a private dwelling), and at Holyhead. The toll house at Holyhead has been moved - stone by stone - back from the road just tens of feet away, and is now a cafe. They all appear to have been built at a point where another road meets the `new` London to Holyhead road on Anglesey. Click on an image below to see full size.

The Toll House in Caergeiliog

The Toll House in Caergeiliog on Anglesey

The Toll House near Gwalchmai

The Toll House near Mona and Gwalchmai - now a private residence

The Toll House in Holyhead

The Toll House in Holyhead - now a cafe

The Toll House in Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

The Toll House in Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll on Anglesey

Back to Anglesey History Page

Home




Search the website below:

Web www.anglesey.info

Sitemap>>>>>Home>>>>>Privacy Policy

 

© 2016 Anglesey Môn Information Website - all rights reserved.