RAF Valley or `Valley Camp` as it is locally called has been a major part of Anglesey life since it was being built in 1939. During the building of the station, the Celtic hoard of Llyn Cerrig Bach was discovered, and an amazing part of Anglesey’s history was uncovered with it.
The station opened in 1941 and operated as a fighter base until 1943 flying mainly hurricanes, and from November 1941 Spitfires. Apart from its defence training role, as number 4FTS (Flying Training School) which it became during the 1950s, the camp as a side product has supplied many a husband for Anglesey’s young ladies. As a result, there are many ex RAF who have stayed on Anglesey ever since.