Thomas Telford designed and supervised the building of the Menai Suspension Bridge, and the road from Holyhead on Anglesey to London. The bridge took from 1818 – 1826 to build. As a means of recuperating some of the money, there were five toll gates, each with a toll house, that was erected at approximately five-mile intervals between the Menai Suspension Bridge and Holyhead.
The first toll point was of course at the bridge itself, this is no longer in evidence. The toll houses still remain today at Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, Gwalchmai, Caergeiliog (now a private dwelling), and at Holyhead. The toll house at Holyhead has been moved – stone by stone – back from the road just tens of feet away and is now a cafe. They all appear to have been built at a point where another road meets the `new` London to Holyhead road on Anglesey. Click on an image below to see full size.